Becoming a Mentee
“If you want to go somewhere it is best to find someone who has already been there.” – Robert Kiyosaki
Mentees are the people guided and/or led by the mentors. A Mentee is an LPN who wants to work with an experienced individual; seeking information, knowledge, advice and support required to achieve certain career goals. Mentees are typically those who are new to the profession, new to the province, or who want to transition from one area of practice to another.
APPLY to be a Mentee
A Mentee will:
- Have a clear understanding of why you want to be mentored
- Create goals e.g. complete Career Directions Program
- Be realistic about setting timelines
- Listen and contribute to the conversation
- Have good interpersonal and communication skills
- Understand that your Mentor will not have all the answers
- Accept guidance and constructive feedback
- Set time aside for self-reflection and reassessing goals
- Participate in evaluation of the Mentorship Program
- Give back to the profession and volunteer to become a Mentor in the future
- Support the purpose of the Mentorship Program by being available for a minimum of three (3) one hour sessions or combination thereof
Benefits of Being a Mentee
Learning that contributes to our success often happens not only through books, but through real world experience. Through a mentorship relationship, a Mentee can learn from a Mentors experiences, skills and knowledge.
Other benefits that accrue as a result of being a Mentee in a mentoring relationship include:
- Identify goals and establish a sense of direction professionally
- Gain practical advice, encouragement and support
- Learn from the experiences of others
- Learn how to network
- Become more empowered to make decisions
- Engage in professional development
- Develop your communication skills
- Develop strategies for dealing with both personal and professional issues
- Gain valuable insight into the next stage of your career
- Make new friends
- Contribute to the success of the LPN profession
- Orientation Workshops and Webinars – a schedule will be provided once you have applied and are approved for the Mentorship Program.
- Building Successful Mentorship Relationships workshop – guides Mentors/Mentees through a five-phase model (purpose, engagement, planning, emergence and completion) to assist with the development of a mentoring relationship.
Are you ready to become a Mentee? Join Today!
Click Here to fill out the Mentee Application. Once your application is approved you will be able to create and access your Mentee Profile.