Influence the direction of the LPN profession!
In the Calgary, Edmonton, Grande Prairie, and Fort McMurray areas, Licensed Practical Nurses are invited to run for District Representative to CLPNA’s Council.
Successful Council members are team-oriented servant-leaders with a discerning eye on the future of the LPN profession. Council meets quarterly to plan and evaluate the overall direction, policies and finances of the College of Licensed Practical Nurses of Alberta (CLPNA).
Nomination Package Deadline: May 31, 2015
District Elections will be held in June by electronic (email) ballot.
Take your next career step today!
The Council is responsible for the overall direction of the CLPNA and, through Policy Governance, is responsible for:
- setting CLPNA strategic direction including Mission, Vision, Mandate and Outcomes.
- setting Bylaws, Regulations, Standards of Practice, and Code of Ethics (see Legislation, Practice & Policy)
- approving practical nurse education programs.
- reviewing annual financial statements.
The Council does not manage the day-to-day operations of the CLPNA, which is administered by the Executive Director and staff.
Characteristics of a successful Council Member include:
- Passion about the CLPNA’s Mandate – “To lead and regulate the profession in a manner that protects and serves the public through excellence in Practical Nursing.”
- Critical Thinker – Able to examine interpretations, evidence, and proposed decisions against existing policies to determine consistency and compliance.
- Future Thinker – Able to see the “big picture”; can think strategically in terms of systems.
- Servant-Leader – Willingness and ability to understand LPN / stakeholder / public perspectives and make decisions on their behalf, and to gain in-depth knowledge of the issues and implications of decisions.
- Active Participant – Able to articulate ideas well; willing to debate in a constructive manner.
- Commitment – Willing to devote time for meeting preparation, additional learning, and to attend all required meetings.
Attendance & Honorarium
Council members attend 1-2 day meetings every 3 months to review reports of CLPNA business and plan upcoming goals, for a total of 10-12 days attendance per year. Travel expenses and an honorarium for meeting attendance is provided.
- DISTRICT 2: CALGARY ZONE (Calgary & area)
- DISTRICT 4: EDMONTON ZONE (Edmonton & area)
- DISTRICT 6: PART OF NORTH ZONE (Grande Prairie & area)
- DISTRICT 7: PART OF NORTH ZONE (Fort McMurray & area)
To be eligible, LPNs must have an Active Practice Permit from CLPNA and reside in the Election District.
Nomination Submission Deadline: May 31, 2015
For more info, contact firstname.lastname@example.org, 780-484-8886 or 1-800-661-5877 (toll free in Alberta).