It’s true that every nurse will eventually have to understand end-of-life issues for someone, whether that’s a patient, a client or a loved one.
In this video series on Palliative Care, learn to identify the common issues, essential tools to provide best care, and professional resources for every nurse.
Presenter Kath Murray is a Certified Hospice Palliative Care Nurse, and holds a Masters Degree and is a Fellow in Thanatology (FT®). Her first book, Essentials in Palliative Care, was published in 2005.
These educational videos may be used as part of a CLPNA member’s annual learning for the Continuing Competence Program.
VIDEO 1: Palliative Care – Essential Tools
- Define a palliative approach and discuss the challenges to integrating a palliative approach.
- Identify four essential tools to enhance care and communication.
- Identify three resources to support the integration of palliative care in practice.
VIDEO 2: Palliative Care – Communication and Support
- identify best practice interactions.
- reflect on “personal best” moments.
- identify principles that might help in responding to difficult questions.
VIDEO 3: Palliative Care – Dealing with Dyspnea
- Discuss the experience of dyspnea (difficulty breathing).
- Identify tools to assess dyspnea.
- Identify strategies to prevent dyspnea from occurring and/or escalating.
- Identify pharmacological and nonpharmacological ways to support individuals who experience dyspnea.