UPDATE (Jan. 29/20) – The following was updated with instructions on accessing the educational modules.
Important regulatory changes to the nursing practice of Alberta’s LPNs are coming February 1, including new advanced authorizations that are required for medication administration via central venous lines, administration of parenteral nutrition.
The College of Licensed Practical Nurses of Alberta (CLPNA) will be implementing an amended Licensed Practical Nurses Profession Regulation (LPN Regulation) effective February 1, 2020 in Alberta.
NEW! As a result of this amendment there are changes in terminology from ‘specialized practice’ to ‘advanced authorization’. LPNs wishing to perform restricted activities requiring advanced authorization will continue to require post entry-level training and receive authorization by the Registrar prior to performing the restricted activity. The CLPNA webpage’s on Restricted Activities and Advanced Authorizations provides an updated list of education requirements for restricted activities.
The updated LPN Regulation requires advanced authorization to perform medication administration via a central venous line (CVC, PICC, or IVAD) and administration of parenteral nutrition.
NEW! HOW TO ACCESS EDUCATION MODULES
CLPNA members can now take the following free, self-study education modules:
- Administering Medications via Central Venous Catheter, Peripherally Inserted Central Catheter, and Implanted Venous Access Device Module
- Administering Parenteral Nutrition Module
Please follow these important instructions to login, choose and enrol in a module, and access your updated practice permit with your authorization.
- Login to myCLPNA.com (above).
- Once you are logged in, click on the link on the left-hand side that says “Learning Module”.
- Click on the blue ‘studywithclpna.com’ link.
- You will be brought to the Moodle Dashboard. Click on ‘HOME’ on the top left.
- Select the ‘ACCESS’ button below the module name for the module you wish to take.
- Click on ‘Enroll Me’ to the right of the module picture and below the ‘Student’ header. You will then be able to take the module.
- Once your final exam is complete, the results will go to the database and you will have access to your updated practice permit that can be printed from your myCLPNA.com account. The authorization will also be available on the CLPNA’s Public Registry.
DETAILS IN UPCOMING STANDARDS & POLICIES
It is the responsibility of all regulated members to read, understand, and comply with the Standards of Practice on Restricted Activities and Advanced Practice and Policy on Practice and Education for Restricted Activities and Advanced Practice. These two documents will be available on the CLPNA’s website by February 1 along with detailed information about restricted activities, advanced authorizations, education, and the advanced authorization application process.
For any questions related to the LPN Regulation and resulting changes to LPN practice, please contact the CLPNA’s Professional Practice Team at ASK CLPNA, email@example.com, 780-484-8886 or 1-800-661-5877 (toll free in Alberta).