(UPDATE Nov. 5/20) – Staff are available to assist LPNs with Registration Renewal during office hours. Contact 780-484-8886 or email@example.com. The CLPNA’s office remains closed to visitors except by appointment.
Annual Registration Renewal for Alberta’s Licensed Practical Nurses begins October 1, 2020, for the 2021 calendar year.
LPNs must successfully complete the annual Registration Renewal process in order to work in Alberta in 2021. The process is also used to change or cancel registration.
RELATED – Registration Renewal
The College of Licensed Practical Nurses of Alberta (CLPNA) encourages all LPNs to renew before December 1 to pay the lowest registration fee of $350. For those who delay, the renewal fee is $550 when submitted between December 2 to 31.
Formal notices will be sent by email from the CLPNA’s Registrar the week of October 1.
FINES, FEES, DISCIPLINE IF WORKING WITHOUT A PERMIT
The repercussions of working with an expired or invalid practice permit are serious and impact both an LPN’s registration and disciplinary status. All employers will be notified immediately as the nurse must stop working until the practice permit has been reinstated. (Typically, employers may also issue a suspension.)
The process to become reinstated may take weeks and involves the CLPNA’s Registration and Complaints Departments. Fees totalling $1280 must be paid, including $780 in Practice Permit Fees and a $500 Complaints Fee.
PREPARING TO RENEW
Before beginning, gather:
- Remember your www.myCLPNA.com password.
- Count your nursing practice hours from Jan. 1, 2020 to the submission date of your Renewal application. Then, add your estimated practice hours from that date to Dec. 31, 2020. For guidance, see Registration Renewal.
- Find your Continuing Competence Program (CCP) Learning Plan for 2020 and 2021 (also available on your myCLPNA profile).
- Find your employer(s)/organization(s)’s contact info.
- Determine your payment method (if not previously enrolled on the Pre-Authorized Payment Plan).
- Login to www.myCLPNA.com.
Questions? Contact the CLPNA at firstname.lastname@example.org, 780-484-8886, or toll-free at 1-800-661-5877 (toll free in Alberta only).