COURTESY REGISTRATION: LICENSED IN ANOTHER PROVINCE—APPLYING FOR REGISTRATION
The page is for Licensed Practical Nurses (or Registered Practical Nurses from Ontario) who
- are currently registered in another Canadian province or jurisdiction that wish to become registered as a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) in Alberta, and
- wish to practice on a temporary basis for a period of three months or less.
When to apply for registration as a courtesy applicant in Alberta
IMPORTANT: The title of Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) is restricted and cannot be used by an individual in Alberta unless authorized by the CLPNA. You MUST be registered with the CLPNA if you will be doing any of the following:
- Apply nursing knowledge, skills, and judgment to assess patient’s needs
- Provide nursing care for patients and families
- Teach, manage, and conduct research in the science, techniques, and practice of nursing
- Provide restricted activities authorized by the regulation
REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS AND PROCESS
The CLPNA is committed to having transparent, objective, impartial, and procedurally fair registration practices.
The Declarations & Registration Requirements Policy outlines the declarations and registration requirements for all registration categories. Applicants must ensure that they fulfill all necessary requirements in their application.
HOW TO APPLY
- Complete registration: Fill out the Courtesy Registration Application Form and email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Set up CLPNA account: Within five business days of submitting, your application will be entered into the CLPNA database and you will receive an email from Alinity to set up your account with the CLPNA.
- Pay relevant fees: Once your account is set up, you will receive an invoice to pay any relevant application fees.
- Submit criminal record check: You are required to submit a criminal record check through myBackCheck. By following the link, your criminal record check will be submitted directly to the CLPNA.
- Submit Verification of Registration: You are required to request a Verification of Registration from your current jurisdiction. This will be sent to the CLPNA from your current jurisdiction via email in most cases.
- Submit letter of support from future employer: You are required to submit a letter of support from your future employer identifying the purpose of the Courtesy Registration request, location of employment, and expected dates of employment in Alberta. Please submit this letter directly to email@example.com.
- Submit English Language Proficiency proof (if applicable): You may be required to provide proof of English Language Proficiency. If this is needed, the CLPNA will require results to come directly from IELTS or CELBAN.
There is a $100 application fee and $175 permit fee. Both fees may be waived in the case of an emergency registration.
For more information:
Ask CLPNA or call 1-800-661-5877 (toll-free in Alberta), or 780-484-8886
CLPNA’S REGISTRATION SERVICE STANDARDS
This policy outlines registration service standards at the CLPNA. Applicants and registrants can expect these standards when interacting with the Registration Team at the CLPNA.
Updated June 24, 2022