English Language Proficiency
All applicants to the College of Licensed Practical Nurses of Alberta (CLPNA) must be sufficiently proficient in the English language and be able to provide professional services in English.
The English Language Proficiency Policy is applicable to all applicants requesting registration in Alberta.
The requirement for English Language Proficiency can be met through one of the following ways:
- Completion of nursing education where English was the language of instruction, in any country.
- Graduation from a 2-year non-practical nurse program in Canada where English was the language of instruction.
- Current nursing registration in another Canadian jurisdiction where English language proficiency has been assessed by that jurisdiction as meeting the requirements of language proficiency.
- Successful completion in accordance with the standard of either the Canadian English Language Benchmark Assessment for Nurses (CELBAN) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic Version.
- Employer verification that the applicant has been providing health services primarily in English.
Applications for registration are not considered complete and ready for assessment until the language requirement has been met.
DOWNLOAD Policy: English Language Proficiency
For more information, please contact:
Email the CLPNA’s Registration Department
Ask CLPNA or call 1-800-661-5877 (toll-free in Alberta), or 780-484-8886.
CLPNA’S REGISTRATION SERVICE STANDARDS
This policy outlines registration service standards at the CLPNA. Applicants and registrants can expect these standards when interacting with the Registration Team at the CLPNA. Registration Service Standards
Updated March 29, 2023