Previously Registered in Alberta: Applying for Reinstatement
For individuals who were formerly registered as a Licensed Practical Nurse in Alberta and wish to become registered again, there are several requirements you must meet to be eligible for reinstatement.
IMPORTANT: The title of Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) is restricted and cannot be used by an individual in Alberta unless authorized by the College of Licensed Practical Nurses of Alberta (CLPNA). You must be registered with the CLPNA if you will be doing any of the following:
a. Apply nursing knowledge, skills, and judgment to assess patient’s needs,
b. Provide nursing care for patients and families
b.1. teach, manage and conduct research in the science, techniques and practice of nursing,
c. provide restricted activities authorized by the regulation
Before starting your Reinstatement Application, consider the following questions:
- Have you ever obtained registration in Alberta as a Licensed Practical Nurse?
- Have you practiced as a nurse (LPN/RN) or successfully completed a nursing program in the past four (4) years? Review the requirement for registration including the Policy: Registration Requirements: Actively Engaged.
If you answered yes to both these questions, you are ready to apply for Reinstatement.
If you did not answer yes to both questions, see ‘Other Registration Options’ below.
How to Apply
- Login to myCLPNA with the email address CLPNA had on record at the time you were last registered.
- Once logged in, on the Dashboard select “Reinstate” to begin the Reinstatement Application.
- Complete the application either in one sitting or save the form for later with the button at the bottom.
- Once you have filled out both application pages, you will be able to submit your application and pay the application fee.
- After the application has been submitted and the application fee paid, the CLPNA will review your application and contact you within five (5) business days regarding any outstanding requirements or next steps.
- Additionally, you are required to submit a Criminal Record Check through myBackCheck. Click the button below to proceed:
Other Registration Options
If you answered no to the questions above reinstatement may not be the best route for application, here are some other registration options:
- I am a New Graduate of a Practical Nurse program in Alberta
- I was Registered/Licensed as an LPN in Another Canadian Province/Territory
- I am an Internationally Educated Nurse (a nurse educated outside Canada and is/was not registered/licensed in Canada)
Updated March 1, 2020