IMPORTANT: To work or accept employment in Alberta, Licensed Practical Nurses must have registration and a valid Practice Permit from the College of Licensed Practical Nurses of Alberta (CLPNA), as per the Health Professions Act (HPA) of Alberta.
Student Membership is an opportunity for students enrolled in an approved Alberta practical nursing program to sign up with the College of Licensed Practical Nurses of Alberta (CLPNA) to directly receive information about initial registration, regulation, and nursing policies.
Student Membership is non-practicing registration type. Therefore, Student Members are not permitted to work as an LPN or use the restricted title of Licensed Practical Nurse or LPN.
Student Memberships are short-term and valid for up to three years. Student members can apply for an extension for additional years.
Upon successful completion of the practical nurse program, student members may apply to the CLPNA to obtain a Provisional permit and to take the Canadian Practical Nurse Registration Exam (CPNRE).
PLEASE NOTE: This membership is not associated with the Provisional application process. The fees connected with the membership will not be applied to your Provisional Registration in the future.
HOW TO APPLY
- From our website: www.clpna.com
- Click on the myCLPNA button and sign up with your email address. You will receive an email with a link asking you to complete the sign-up.
- Once logged in, on the Dashboard under Student Membership select “Apply” to begin the Student Membership Application.
- Complete the application either in one sitting or save the form for later with the button at the bottom.
- After the application has been submitted, the CLPNA will review your application and contact you within five (5) business days regarding any outstanding requirements or next steps.
CLPNA’s Registration Service Standards
The CLPNA would like applicants and the public to be aware of our service standard goals regarding the processing time for requests, messages, and applications. These timelines may be extended if the circumstances require outside consultation.
- Phone calls will be returned within one business day.
- Emails will be returned within two business days.
- Applications received will be reviewed within five business days.
- For completed applications, a membership will be issued immediately upon receipt of payment.
Updated April 19, 2021