DOWNLOAD Council Appeal Committee Flow Chart
The Investigated Member or the Complaints Director may appeal a Hearing Tribunal’s Decision to the Council Appeal Committee (CAC) which consists of two council members appointed by the Council and one Public Member appointed by the Alberta Government.
The Notice of Appeal must include reasons and must be given to the Hearings Director within 30 days of receiving the written decision. An appeal to the CAC must be based on the Hearing Tribunal Decision.
The Hearing Tribunal Decision remains in effect pending an appeal unless the Investigated Member makes a written application to the CAC.
Council Appeal Committee Members
- Kurtis Kooiker, LPN, Regulated Member
- Tiffany Smith, LPN, Regulated Member
- John Chapman, Public Member
- Linda Osinchuck, Public Member
Council Appeal Committee Decisions
The Council Appeal Committee must, within 90 days from the date of the conclusion of the appeal, make a decision and do one or more of the following:
- Make any finding that, in its opinion, should have been made by the Hearing Tribunal,
- Quash, confirm or vary any finding or order of the Hearing Tribunal or substitute or make a finding or order of its own;
- Refer the matter back to the Hearing Tribunal to receive additional evidence for further consideration in accordance with any direction that the Council Appeal Committee may make, or
- Refer the matter to the Hearings Director to schedule it for rehearing before another Hearing Tribunal composed of persons who were not members of the Hearing Tribunal that heard the matter, to rehear the matter.
For more information, please contact: Email the CLPNA’s Complaints Department, Ask CLPNA ,or call 1-800-661-5877 (toll-free in Alberta), or 780-484-8886.