Becoming a Mentor
“Mentoring is a brain to pick, an ear to listen, and a push in the right direction.” – John Crosby
A Mentor is a Licensed Practical Nurse who shares his or her experience and knowledge to help a Mentee reach their career goals. Mentors provide insight, guidance, and often pointed advice and direction, based on their own experience and expertise.
The greatest thing a Mentor can do for a Mentee is encourage and convey a sincere belief in a Mentee’s ability to succeed.
A Mentor will:
- Be positive, approachable, confident and self-aware
- Be interested in professional development
- Be established in his/her profession
- Want to contribute to the success of the LPN profession
- Be connected to professional networks
- Have good interpersonal and communication skills
- Have insights about the LPN profession
- Maintain confidentiality
- Mentors and mentees work together for a minimum of three (3) one hour sessions or combination thereof.
- Participate in evaluation of the mentorship program
Benefits of Being a Mentor
Mentors encourage mentees personal and professional growth and development, while supporting their efforts towards achieving goals and meeting the expectations of the Mentorship Program.
- Increased confidence, motivation, and professional growth
- Improve communication and personal skills
- Reinforce your own skills and knowledge of your nursing practice
- Engage in a volunteering opportunity, valued by employers
- Enhanced leadership and coaching skills
- Support the LPN profession
- Increase your circle of friends
- Gain recognition for your skills and experience
- Benefit from a sense of fulfilment and personal growth
- Enhance your Resume
- Tips for Mentors Preparing for Mentorship Meetings (PDF)
- Sample Questions Mentors Can Use (PDF)
- Mentoring Relationship Agreement (PDF)
- Mentoring Action Plan (PDF)
- Mentoring Learning Journal (PDF)
- Mentor Handbook (PDF) (coming soon)
Orientation Workshops and Webinars – a schedule will be provided once you have applied and are approved for the Mentorship Program.
Building Successful Mentorship Relationships workshop – guides Mentors/Mentees through a five-phase model (purpose, engagement, planning, emergence and completion) to assist with the development of a mentoring relationship.
Are you ready to become a Mentor? Join Today!
Click Here to fill out the Mentor Application. Once your application is approved you will be able to create and access your Mentor Profile.