Apply to Serve on the CLPNA’s Council
Are you an Alberta Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) that is interested in being a part of the Council of the College of Licensed Practical Nurses of Alberta (CLPNA)? We are asking LPN leaders committed to public safety to submit applications for an upcoming term beginning January 1, 2024.
The CLPNA is a not-for-profit governing public body created under the Health Professions Act to regulate the Licensed Practical Nurse profession in a manner that protects public interest. The CLPNA protects the public by setting standards and processes for LPN registration, education, continuing competence, complaints, and discipline.
The CLPNA Council consists of 50% LPNs who are appointed by the Council and 50% public members who are appointed by the Government of Alberta. The Council is responsible for the overall direction of the CLPNA through policy governance. The Council establishes the CLPNA’s strategic direction within the legislated mandate of public protection.
The Council is responsible for the health and success of the CLPNA. Each Council member brings a unique perspective; however, there are key skills and abilities that will enhance the functioning of the Council so that it can efficiently perform its legislated mandate. Council members should, individually or collectively, possess the skills necessary to establish an effective competency board.
The CLPNA Council is looking for LPNs interested in serving on the Council who:
- Meet at minimum, the base competencies required for the role outlined in the Council Competency Matrix;
- Are leaders (formally or informally) with an interest in the CLPNA’s mandate of protecting the public through regulation;
- Can commit to a term appointment until August 31, 2025;
- Can commit to at minimum four, 1-2 day, in-person or virtual meetings each year and any other meetings or events that may be scheduled for a total of approximately 13 days a year. Additionally, are able to do the preparation and reading prior to meetings; and
- Can work collaboratively with the Council to govern and create the strategic direction for the CLPNA.
Available Positions and Terms: The Council is currently seeking two (2) Council members, one until August 31, 2024 and another until August 31, 2025.
Candidates must meet the conditions for eligibility set out in section 21 of the Bylaws, including:
- Being an active registrant on the CLPNA’s general Register;
- Having a minimum of three years of regulated nursing practice;
- Being a resident of the Province of Alberta;
- Provide two written references;
- Not fall within the ineligibility provisions of Council membership set out in the CLPNA Bylaws.
As well, applicants must demonstrate leadership in LPN practice and must demonstrate some or all the core Council competencies set out in the Council Competency Matrix.
Previous committee or board experience is a preferable asset.
An honorarium, travel, accommodations, and meal expenses are covered in accordance with CLPNA policies.
Next Steps: All applicants will be reviewed and considered by the Appointment Committee.
The review process may include an interview and request for additional information. The Appointment Committee will recommend eligible applicants to the Council. The Council will appoint applicants to fill vacant Council positions in accordance with the Council’s Competency needs at the December Council meeting.
If you are interested in joining the CLPNA Council or know someone who would be suited to join the Council, please contact the CLPNA at (780) 484-8886 or email@example.com for further information.
The closing date for applications is October 24, 2023. Applications are submitted online.