Continuing Competence Program – Audit
Through ongoing learning, the Continuing Competence Program (CCP) supports Licensed Practical Nurses (LPNs) to achieve and demonstrate continuing competence. By completing the annual requirements, the public can be assured LPNs are committed to their continuing competence and professional development. The program provides LPNs with a framework for self-reflection and integration of self-directed learning into their nursing practice.
The audit process verifies LPNs have met the requirements of the Continuing Competence Program.
In June of each year, approximately 25% of LPNs are selected to participate in the Audit process. The CLPNA’s Competence Committee reviews all audit submissions and make decisions based on specific criteria. The Competence Committee consists of practicing LPNs who have been appointed by the CLPNA’s Council.
Committee members have two options when making a decision – approve or deny. Decision making criteria includes:
- Evidence of participation in the CCP for each practice year included in the audit.
- Links between learning plan objectives and learning activities.
- Evaluation of the impact of learning on nursing practice.
- Documented proof of completion of learning activities (if requested)
Once a decision is made by the Competence Committee to approve or deny the submission, the Registrar provides a written decision letter by email to the LPN.
For Audit submissions that do not meet the approval criteria, reasons are included in the decision letter.
BASIC Audit requires submission of the online audit form for the previous two (2) years.
FULL Audit requires submission of the online audit form and proof of learning documentation for the previous two (2) years.
DIRECT Audit requires submission of the online audit form for the previous year. In this category LPNs are directly selected when they have less than 500 practice hours in the preceding four (4) years.
NOTE: Participants for BASIC and FULL audits are randomly selected.
- Audit submissions may take four to six weeks to process.
- If a submission is denied additional time may be required to address any deficiencies.
- LPNs will not be eligible for annual Registration Renewal if CCP Audit requirements are not met on or before December 31.
Contact the CLPNA’s Professional Development Consultants at email@example.com, 780-484-8886 or 1-800-661-5877 (toll free in Alberta).