Continuing Competence Program – Audit
Through ongoing learning, the Continuing Competence Program (CCP) supports Licensed Practical Nurses (LPNs) to achieve and demonstrate continuing competence. By completing the annual requirements, LPNs are meeting the continuing education and practice expectations outlined in the Licensed Practical Nurses Profession Regulations. The program provides LPNs with a framework for self-reflection and integration of self-directed learning into their nursing practice.
The audit process verifies LPNs have met the requirements of the Continuing Competence Program.
Beginning in May, approximately 20% of LPNs are selected to participate in the Audit. Decisions regarding Audit submissions are made based on the specific criteria as outlined in the CCP Audit Rubric. Decision making criteria includes:
- Evidence of participation in the CCP for practice year included in the audit.
- Links between continuing competence goals and learning activities.
- Evaluation of the impact of learning on nursing practice.
- Documented proof of completion of learning activities (if requested).
The LPN will receive a written decision regarding the outcome of their Audit submission. The letter will be signed by either the Registrar or Chair of the Competence Committee. A decision will be either as having met requirements of the Audit or not meeting requirements.
For Audit submissions that do not meet the approval criteria, reasons are included in the decision letter. The LPN will then have the opportunity to resubmit their Audit.
A CCP Audit Rubric is available to assist and guide the LPN with submission of the Audit requirements. This tool provides criteria of acceptable and unacceptable levels of performance for each learning component.
- Audit submissions may take four weeks to process.
- If a submission does not meet requirements, additional time may be required to address any deficiencies.
- LPNs will not be approved for 2020 registration if CCP Audit requirements are not met on or before December 31, 2019.
- The CCP Audit cycle is May 1 – June 30, 2019. Late submission of CCP Audit (after June 30) will be subject to a registration levy of $100. Any fees or levies incurred during the registration year must be paid prior to approval of registration renewal.