Under Alberta’s Health Professions Act, Restricted Activities are health services that pose significant risk and are identified to require a level of professional competence to be performed safely.
Therefore, Licensed Practical Nurses in Alberta must be granted authority by the College of Licensed Practical Nurses of Alberta (CLPNA) to engage in the following Specialized Practice’s: Immunization, Renal Dialysis, Advanced Orthopedics, Perioperative, and Advanced Foot Care.
The following courses are authorized by CLPNA as meeting the requirements for Specialized Practice:
- RENAL DIALYSIS (through Alberta Health Services on-the-job training)
- PERIOPERATIVE NURSING (OPERATING ROOM)
- ADVANCED FOOT CARE – Although not requiring CLPNA-authorized education, LPNs who practice Advanced Foot Care must complete education to practice these competencies.
How to get CLPNA Authorization for Specializations
LPNs are not fully authorized and not covered by LPN insurance for specialized practice until it is approved by CLPNA and added to their practice permit.
To get authorization, LPNs must:
- complete and submit the Specialization Authorization Application, and
- send a copy of their certificate of completion to CLPNA (photograph and email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or scan and fax to 780-484-9069).
Once approved, the specialization will be listed on the LPN’s Practice Permit and CLPNA’s Public Registry.
Questions? Contact email@example.com, 1-800-661-5877 (toll free in Alberta), or 780-484-8886.