The Jurisprudence Examination ensures Licensed Practical Nurses in Alberta have the necessary knowledge to practice nursing safely within the legislative framework that exists in Alberta and understand their professional role and responsibilities. This multiple-choice, open-book exam is developed and administered by the College of Licensed Practical Nurses of Alberta (CLPNA).
Successful completion of the Jurisprudence Examination is a registration requirement for select Applicants.
EXAM OBJECTIVES & TOPICS
- To facilitate an understanding of the basic frameworks of provincial legislation directly impacting the LPN’s practice.
- To increase professional understanding while adapting and integrating into new health care setting
- Function of the CLPNA
- CLPNA Bylaws
- Health Professions Act and Licensed Practical Nurses Profession Regulation
- Standards of Practice and Code of Ethics
- Continuing Competence
- Conduct Process
- Scope of Practice
- Restricted Activities
- Supervision & Delegation
- Professional Accountability and Responsibility
- Other Relevant Legislation
- Health Information Act
- Protection for Persons in Care Act
- Canadian Controlled Drugs and Substances Act
- Alberta Occupational Health and Safety Act
INTERNATIONALLY EDUCATED APPLICANTS, NEW GRADUATES, OUT OF PROVINCE APPLICANTS AND THOSE RETURNING TO PRACTICE AFTER 4 YEARS AWAY FROM THE CLPNA
The Jurisprudence Examination is a registration requirement for Internationally Educated Applicants, graduates from a practical nurse program in Alberta, applicants from another jurisdiction in Canada and applicants returning to practice after 4 years away from the CLPNA. The Jurisprudence Exam provides support to understand professional roles and responsibilities as a Licensed Practical Nurse in Alberta.
CURRENT CLPNA MEMBERS (NO REGISTRATION REQUIREMENT)
Current Licensed Practical Nurses are NOT required to complete the Jurisprudence Examination, but CLPNA encourages members to take the Exam as part of their own Continuing Competence Program learning. The Exam may be taken by members with an Active or Provisional Registration Practice Permit. It is currently unavailable to Associate members.
STUDY GUIDE & RESOURCES
JURISPRUDENCE EXAM STUDY GUIDE
The online CLPNA Jurisprudence Exam Study Guide contains all the information needed to study for the Exam. Access to the Study Guide is publicly available and free.
HOW TO WRITE THE EXAM
As part of the registration process, applicants who are assessed to write the Jurisprudence Exam will be provided with details about how to pay for and write the exam.
CLPNA members with a current Active or Provisional Registration Practice Permit may pay for and write the Jurisprudence Exam at any time. Follow the below instructions:
Member Login Instructions to Write Exam:
- CLICK on “myCLPNA LOGIN” (also on the top right corner of this screen).
- TYPE in your Email Address and Password.
- CLICK on “Jurisprudence” and follow the instructions.
- CLICK on the Products page and choose “Jurisprudence”. After payment, the Jurisprudence Exam will immediately begin.
FEES AND DETAILS
The Jurisprudence Exam is an open-book, multiple-choice exam.
Fee: $50 for each exam attempt, payable by VISA or MasterCard. Payment will be made online immediately before beginning the exam. Exam fees are non-refundable.
Maximum exam time is 4 hours. Short breaks may be taken during the exam, but the countdown clock will continue to run. Exam writers are advised to ensure they do not log out of the exam while in progress, as this will end the exam and count as an exam attempt.
Exam results are available immediately following the exam, and may also be printed at any time by logging into myCLPNA. The exam results will also be automatically sent to the CLPNA at the completion of the exam.
Those who fail may retake the exam. There is a $50 Exam Fee for each attempt.
Once the exam is completed successfully, no further exam attempts are possible.
Contact the CLPNA at firstname.lastname@example.org, 780-484-8886 or 1-800-661-5877 (Toll Free in Alberta).
Updated March 1, 2020