The Jurisprudence Examination ensures Licensed Practical Nurses in Alberta have the necessary knowledge to practice nursing safely within the legislative framework that exists in Alberta and Canada and understand their professional role and responsibilities. This multiple-choice, open-book Exam was designed by the College of Licensed Practical Nurses of Alberta (CLPNA).
Successful completion of the Jurisprudence Examination is a registration requirement for select Applicants.
EXAM OBJECTIVES & TOPICS
- To facilitate an understanding of the basic frameworks of provincial (federal) health care systems
- To increase awareness of current practice issues
- To increase personal and professional confidence while adapting and integrating into new health care setting
- Patient-centered care
- Collaboration among healthcare providers
- The role of the federal and provincial governments in the Canadian health care system
- Understanding key legislation needed to inform nursing practice in Alberta
- Patient safety issues and the LPN role
- Planning for success in the healthcare workplace
- Ethical dilemmas
- Communicating effectively in the healthcare workplace
- Expectations surrounding professionalism and lifelong learning
INTERNATIONALLY EDUCATED NURSE APPLICANTS
Successful completion of the Jurisprudence Examination is a registration requirement for Internationally Educated Nurse Applicants. These applicants were identified with the most significant need, as many of these nurses do not understand the legislative framework that exists in Alberta and Canada within the practical nursing profession.
NEW GRADUATES AND OUT OF PROVINCE APPLICANTS (AS OF 2016)
In 2016, the Jurisprudence Examination will be a registration requirement for graduates from a practical nurse program in Alberta and practical nurse applicants from another jurisdiction in Canada. The Jurisprudence Exam provides support to understand professional roles and responsibilities as a Licensed Practical Nurse in Alberta.
CURRENT CLPNA MEMBERS (NO REGISTRATION REQUIREMENT)
Current Licensed Practical Nurses are NOT required to complete the Jurisprudence Examination, but CLPNA encourages members to take the Exam as part of their own Continuing Competency Program learning. The Exam may be taken by members with an Active, Temporary or Conditional Practice Permit. It is currently unavailable to Associate members.
STUDY GUIDE & RESOURCES
JURISPRUDENCE EXAM STUDY GUIDE
The online CLPNA Jurisprudence Exam Study Guide contains all the information needed to study for the Exam. Access to the Study Guide is publically available and free.
Documents for the Jurisprudence Exam Study Guide are also available in the following locations:
Continuing Competency Program (CCP) Binder
- The Binder contains 400 pages of Alberta LPN legislative and resource documents including Legislation and Regulation; Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice; and the Competency Profile for LPNs.
- This Binder was given to every new CLPNA member as part of their initial registration process until it was replaced by the ‘LPN Key to Self-Regulation’ in Spring 2013.
LPN Key to Self-Regulation
- This convenient 4GB USB Key contains all the LPN legislative and resource information from the CCP Binder and more, and can be easily updated by downloading updated documents from www.clpna.com.
- The Key replaced the Continuing Competency Program (CCP) Binder in Spring 2013 for all new CLPNA members as part of their initial registration process.
- Fee: $30. Complete & submit this Order Form with payment or contact 780-484-8886. All fees are in Canadian dollars.
HOW TO WRITE THE EXAM
As part of the registration process, applicants who are assessed to write the Jurisprudence Exam will be provided with details about how to pay for and write the exam.
CLPNA members with a current Active, Temporary or Conditional Practice Permit may pay for and write the Jurisprudence Exam at any time. Follow the below instructions:
Member Login Instructions to Write Exam:
- CLICK on “myCLPNA LOGIN” (also on the top right corner of this screen).
- TYPE in your User ID (CLPNA Registration Number) and Password.
- CLICK on “Jurisprudence” and follow the instructions.
- CLICK on the Products page and choose “Jurisprudence”. After payment, the Jurisprudence Exam will immediately begin.
FEES AND DETAILS
The Jurisprudence Exam is an open-book, multiple-choice exam.
Fee: $50 for each exam attempt, payable by VISA or MasterCard. Payment will be made online immediately before beginning the exam. Exam Fees are non-refundable.
Maximum exam time is 4 hours. Short breaks may be taken during the exam, but the countdown clock will continue to run. Exam writers are advised to ensure they do not log out of the exam while in progress, as this will end the exam and count as an exam attempt.
Exam results are available immediately following the exam, and may also be printed at any time by logging into myCLPNA.
Those who fail may retake the exam. There is a $50 Exam Fee for each attempt.
Once the exam is completed successfully, no further exam attempts are possible.
Experiencing technical difficulty as you take the Jurisprudence Exam? Contact the Support Line at Yardstick Software at 866-793-4820.
For general questions, contact the CLPNA at firstname.lastname@example.org, 780-484-8886 or 1-800-661-5877 (Toll Free in Alberta).