Public Registry of LPNs
The real-time Public Registry of LPNs assists the public to identify that a person providing nursing care in Alberta is a Licensed Practical Nurse registered with the College of Licensed Practical Nurses of Alberta (CLPNA) and determine the nurse’s current registration status. This information is not designed or intended to be used for any other purpose.
In accordance with Alberta’s Health Professions Act and the guidelines of the Personal Information Protection Act, the Public Registry only publishes the name, CLPNA registration number, registration type, Practice Permit effective and expiry date, authorization for restricted activities requiring advanced authorization (formerly specialized practice), and conditions on practice.
Starting April 1, 2019, the Public Registry includes the status of a practice permit for current and previous members for the last five (5) years. If a practice permit is suspended or cancelled, the Public Registry will also state the reason.
Are you an Employer? See Employer Verification of LPNs.
To ensure LPN employees are registered for the coming year and able to practice, employers and managers are strongly encouraged to verify LPN registrations after the CLPNA’s annual Registration Renewal deadline of December 1. Most LPN practice permits expire annually on December 31.
How to Search the Public Registry
You may search the Public Registry using one or more of the following criteria: Last Name, First Name or Registration Number. The more criteria you input, the more specific a search you will initiate.
If the LPN you are searching for does not appear in the results, try a simpler search such as ONLY Registration Number or ONLY Last Name.
Interpreting Search Results
Definitions of key terms to understand search results.
Registration Number = CLPNA Registration Number
Registration Type = Type of membership/Practice Permit.
- Active – Authorized to practice as an LPN in Alberta.
- Provisional (formerly Temporary)– Authorized to practice as an LPN in Alberta. Includes new graduates. Canadian Practical Nurse Registration Exam not yet successfully completed. See Policy: Provisional Registration
- Suspended – NOT authorized to practice as an LPN in Alberta, as the permit is suspended. This registration type includes various reasons. (Jump to reason codes.)
- Cancelled – NOT authorized to practice as an LPN in Alberta, as permit and registration is cancelled. This registration type includes various reasons. (Jump to reason codes.)
- Associate – NOT authorized to practice as an LPN in Alberta. Non-practicing registration type.
- Limited – Authorized to practice as an LPN in Alberta with educational restrictions.
Effective Date = Start date of current Registration Type
Reason Codes for Suspended or Cancelled
- CCP Non-Compliant – Did not complete the requirements of the Continuing Competency Program.
- Conduct – Suspended or cancelled due to a complaint or finding of unprofessional conduct.
- Non-Renewal – Did not complete the application for renewal or submit the fee.
- Registration – Did not meet the registration requirements.
- Permit Cancelled Non-Practicing (for Associate Members) – Non-regulated member. Not permitted to practice.
- Other – Reasons that do not fit into one of the categories. Contact the CLPNA for details.
Advanced Authorization = Authorized to perform restricted activities requiring advanced authorization.
Conditions = If an asterisk (*) appears in this column, click on “View Details” for a list of Conditions. Conditions may include:
- Requirements that have not yet been met and are outstanding
- Restrictions placed on the member’s practice permit
- NEW! (FOR 2021 ONLY) Reminder to the registrant that they have worked fewer than 1000 hours in the previous four years. (see ‘Meeting Actively Engaged in Practice Conditions’)