- Health Professions Act – Legislation that governs licensed practical nursing practice in Alberta and provides the authority and powers of the regulatory organization.
- Alberta Regulations for Licensed Practical Nurses (2003) – Subordinate legislation that governs nursing practice in Alberta in more specific detail.
- Government Organization Act, (RSA 2000, Chapter G-10) Schedule 7.1 – Health Services Restricted Activities. Schedule 7.1 to the Government Organization Act defines and lists which health services are restricted activities and sets out offence and penalty provisions for unauthorized performance of restricted activities.
- Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms – Describes Canadian’s fundamental freedoms.
- Controlled Drugs and Substances Act (S.C. 1996, c. 19)
- Public Health Agency of Canada
- The Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner – Oversees privacy legislation.
- Adult Guardianship and Trusteeship Act – Legislation to protect vulnerable adults who may want assistance or are no longer able to make all of their own decisions.
- Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FOIP) – Framework within public organizations must collect, use and disclose personal information.
- Health Information Act (HIA) – Guidelines and Practices Manual – Rules about the collection, use and disclosure of personal health information.
- Personal Information Protection Act (PIPA) – Framework within private sector organizations must collect, use and disclose personal information.
OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH AND SAFETY
- Occupational Health & Safety – Explains legislated standards; health and safety advice to employers and workers; ensures compliance with legislated standards.
- Occupational Health & Safety: Best Practices for the Assessment and Control of Biological Hazards – Manual for healthcare workplaces
- Occupational Health and Safety Act
- Canadian Centre for Occupational Health & Safety: OHS Answers – Describes extended work day and fatigue issues.
OTHER PROVINCIAL LEGISLATION
- Child, Youth and Family Enhancement Act (Alberta)
- Disclosure under Section 4 – A Child in Need of Intervention – Describes that if any person has reasonable and probable grounds to believe that a child is in need of intervention, then that person has a duty to report the matter forthwith to a director of Child and Youth Services.
- Protection for Persons in Care Act (Alberta)– Legislation requiring the prevention and reporting of abuse of adult Albertans receiving care or support services from publicly funded service providers.
- Personal Directives Act (Alberta) – Legislation which allows individuals to name a decision maker and/or provide written instructions to be followed when, due to illness or injury, the individual no longer has the capacity to make decisions.