PRACTICE AND POLICY DOCUMENTS
COMPETENCY PROFILE FOR LICENSED PRACTICAL NURSES
Competency documents outline the knowledge, skills, judgments and attributes required of an LPN at entry into the profession to practice safely, competently and ethically in a designated role or setting.
More at Competency Profile for LPNs
- Competency Profile for Licensed Practical Nurses, 5th Edition (2020)
- Entry-Level Competencies for Licensed Practical Nurses (2019) (effective August 2019)
CONTINUING COMPETENCE PROGRAM
The Continuing Competence Program (CCP) is a formal system mandated by the Health Professions Act (HPA) of assessing, monitoring, and reporting on the knowledge, skills, attitudes and critical judgments of a professional health care provider.
More at Continuing Competence Program.
LPN PRACTICE DECISION-MAKING TOOL
This tool assists in determining safe and authorized practice for Licensed Practical Nurses (LPN) in Alberta. The six key considerations provide guidance to determine if an area of practice or specific competency is appropriate for an individual LPN.
More at LPN Practice Decision-Making Tool.
CLPNA Policies outline requirements and expected behaviours that will be monitored and enforced.
- Policy: Substantial Equivalence (posted October 2020)
- Policy: Research Funding (posted October 2020)
- Policy: Client & Co-Worker Abuse (posted March 2020)
- Policy: Provisional Registration (posted January 2020)
- Policy: Practice and Education Requirements for Restricted Activities and Advanced Practice (posted January 2020)
- Policy: Documentation (updated January 2020)
- Policy: Registration Requirements: Actively Engaged (updated April 2020)
- Policy: Professional Responsibility and Accountability (updated January 2020)
- Policy: Expectations and Obligations During Emergencies (updated January 2020)
- Policy: Personal Declaration for Registration Requirements
- Policy: Practice Hours (updated January 2020)
Interpretive Documents provide an explanation of legislation that affects practical nursing and how to practice in compliance with the law. These explanatory documents are meant to clarify an LPN’s understanding of obligations and issues arising from various pieces of legislation.
- Interpretive Document: Privacy Legislation in Alberta (updated January 2020)
- Interpretive Document: Duty to Report (updated January 2020)
- Interpretive Document: Incapacity Under the HPA (updated January 2020)
- Interpretive Document: LPN Role in Bringing a Personal Directive into Effect (updated January 2020)
Practice Guidelines are evidence informed documents designed to assist membership with making decisions about appropriate practices. These documents support professional judgement and permit flexibility in practice.
- NEW! Practice Guideline: Evidence-Informed Practice (posted September 2020)
- NEW! Practice Guideline: Self-Employed Practice (posted August 2020)
- NEW! Practice Guideline: Virtual Healthcare (posted August 2020)
- Practice Guideline: Infection Prevention and Control (posted May 2020)
- Practice Guideline: Cultural Competence and Inclusive Practice (posted December 2019)
- Practice Guideline: Professional Boundaries (updated December 2019)
- Practice Guideline: Confidentiality (updated January 2020)
- Practice Guideline: Medication Management (updated February 2020)
- Practice Guideline: Mobile Devices (updated January 2020)
- Practice Guideline: Addressing Co-Worker Abuse in the Workplace (updated March 2020)
- NEW! Guidelines for Self-Employed Nurses during Alberta’s Relaunch Strategy (posted May 14, 2020)
- NEW! Social Media: e-Professionalism for Nurses (posted March 2020)
- Video Aesthetic Nursing Practice – Regulatory Matters (posted February 2020)
- Collaborative Practice in Nursing (posted October 2019)
- Aesthetic Nursing in Alberta Frequently Asked Questions (Updated May, 2020)
- Medical Assistance in Dying (MAID) Guidelines for Nurses in Alberta (posted March 2017)
Info Sheets inform membership on relevant nursing topics or the CLPNA’s processes.
- NEW! Common Questions: LPN Practice during COVID-19 (updated March 30, 2020)
- NEW! Understanding the Difference: Regulator and Union
- Info Sheet: Immunization Regulation (updated January 2020)
- Info Sheet: Non-Medical Cannabis (updated January 2020)
- Info Sheet: Pandemic Characteristics and Response Measures (January 2020)
- Info Sheet: Naloxone and the Role of the Licensed Practical Nurse in Alberta (updated January 2020)
White Papers explain research on a specific issue and proposes, or lays out, a plan of action.
- White Paper: Mental Injury in the Healthcare Workplace (posted November 2013)
Resources link to relevant websites and best evidence articles that strengthen nursing knowledge and evidence-informed practice.
More at Research