PRACTICE AND POLICY DOCUMENTS
The current practice and policy documents of the College of Licensed Practical Nurses of Alberta (CLPNA).
Additional governance documents:
- Legislation (including bylaws, provincial and federal legislation, privacy legislation, and occupational health and safety)
- Standards of Practice & Code of Ethics
COMPETENCY PROFILE FOR LICENSED PRACTICAL NURSES
Competency documents outline the knowledge, skills, and attributes required of an Licensed Practical Nurse at entry into the profession to practice safely, competently, and ethically in a designated role or setting.
More at Competency Profile for LPNs
- Competency Profile for Licensed Practical Nurses, 5th Edition (2020)
- Entry-Level Competencies for Licensed Practical Nurses (2019) (effective August 2019)
CONTINUING COMPETENCE PROGRAM
The CLPNA’s Continuing Competence Program (CCP) is a formal system mandated by the Health Professions Act (HPA) of assessing, monitoring, and reporting on the knowledge, skills, attitudes and critical judgments of a Licensed Practical Nurse.
More at Continuing Competence Program.
LPN PRACTICE DECISION-MAKING TOOL
The CLPNA’s LPN Practice Decision-Making Tool assists the user in determining safe and authorized practice for Licensed Practical Nurses (LPN) in Alberta. The six key considerations provide guidance to determine if an area of practice or specific competency is appropriate for an individual LPN.
More at LPN Practice Decision-Making Tool.
A membership policy is a clear and concise statement outlining requirements and expected behaviours of Licensed Practical Nurses registered with the CLPNA. A policy may address regulatory functions mentioned in the Health Professions Act or practice expectations.
- Policy: Substantial Equivalence (posted October 2020)
- Policy: Client & Co-Worker Abuse (posted March 2020)
- Policy: Provisional Registration (posted January 2020)
- Policy: Practice and Education Requirements for Restricted Activities and Advanced Practice (posted January 2020)
- Policy: Documentation (updated January 2020)
- Policy: Registration Requirements: Actively Engaged (updated April 2020)
- Policy: Professional Responsibility and Accountability (updated January 2020)
- Policy: Expectations and Obligations During Emergencies (updated January 2020)
- Policy: Personal Declaration for Registration Requirements (updated January 2020)
- Policy: Practice Hours (updated January 2020)
CLPNA’s Operations Policies
An operations policy is a clear and concise statement outlining requirements and expected behaviours of the CLPNA’s staff, committee members, or external stakeholders.
- Policy: Access, Use, and Collection of Membership Data (posted December 2020)
- Policy: Research Funding (posted October 2020)
An Interpretive Documents provides an explanation of legislation that affects practical nursing and how to practice in compliance with the law. These explanatory documents are meant to clarify an LPN’s understanding of obligations and issues arising from various pieces of legislation.
- Interpretive Document: Immunization Regulation Duties (posted December 2020)
- Interpretive Document: Privacy Legislation in Alberta (updated January 2020)
- Interpretive Document: Duty to Report (updated January 2020)
- Interpretive Document: Incapacity Under the HPA (updated January 2020)
- Interpretive Document: LPN Role in Bringing a Personal Directive into Effect (updated December 2020)
A Practice Guidelines is an evidence-informed document designed to assist membership with making decisions about appropriate practice. These documents support professional judgement and permit flexibility in practice.
- Practice Guideline: Evidence-Informed Practice (posted September 2020)
- Practice Guideline: Self-Employed Practice (posted August 2020)
- Practice Guideline: Virtual Healthcare (posted August 2020)
- Practice Guideline: Infection Prevention and Control (posted May 2020)
- Practice Guideline: Cultural Competence and Inclusive Practice (posted December 2019)
- Practice Guideline: Professional Boundaries (updated December 2019)
- Practice Guideline: Confidentiality (updated January 2020)
- Practice Guideline: Medication Management (updated February 2020)
- Practice Guideline: Mobile Devices (updated January 2020)
- Practice Guideline: Addressing Co-Worker Abuse in the Workplace (updated March 2020)
- Guidelines for Self-Employed Nurses during Alberta’s Relaunch Strategy (posted May 14, 2020)
- Social Media: e-Professionalism for Nurses (posted March 2020)
- Video Aesthetic Nursing Practice – Regulatory Matters (posted February 2020)
- Collaborative Practice in Nursing (posted October 2019)
- Aesthetic Nursing in Alberta Frequently Asked Questions (Updated May, 2020)
- Medical Assistance in Dying (MAID) Guidelines for Nurses in Alberta (posted March 2017)
An Info Sheet informs membership on relevant nursing topics or the CLPNA’s processes.
- Common Questions: LPN Practice during COVID-19
- Understanding the Difference: Regulator and Union
- Info Sheet: Non-Medical Cannabis (updated January 2020)
- Info Sheet: Pandemic Characteristics and Response Measures (January 2020)
- Info Sheet: Naloxone and the Role of the Licensed Practical Nurse in Alberta (updated January 2020)
A White Paper explains research on a specific issue and proposes, or lays out, a plan of action.
- White Paper: Mental Injury in the Healthcare Workplace (posted November 2013)
Resources link to content that strengthens nursing knowledge and evidence-informed practice.
More at Research