PRACTICE AND POLICY DOCUMENTS
COMPETENCY PROFILE FOR LICENSED PRACTICAL NURSES
Competency documents outline the knowledge, skills, judgments and attributes required of an LPN at entry into the profession to practice safely, competently and ethically in a designated role or setting.
More at Competency Profile for LPNs
- NEW! Competency Profile for LPNs, 4th Ed. (2019)
- Entry-Level Competencies for Licensed Practical Nurses (2019) (effective August 2019)
- Entry to Practice Competencies for Licensed Practical Nurses (effective June 3, 2013 – August 2019)
- Competency Profile for Licensed Practical Nurses, 3rd Edition (2015) (PDF, 274 pages, 7MB) (updated January 31, 2017) (effective June 2, 2015)
- Competency Update – Section E: Nursing Practice (January 31, 2017)
CONTINUING COMPETENCE PROGRAM
The Continuing Competence Program (CCP) is a formal system mandated by the Health Professions Act (HPA) of assessing, monitoring, and reporting on the knowledge, skills, attitudes and critical judgments of a professional health care provider.
More at Continuing Competence Program.
LPN PRACTICE DECISION-MAKING TOOL
This tool assists in determining safe and authorized practice for Licensed Practical Nurses (LPN) in Alberta. The six key considerations provide guidance to determine if an area of practice or specific competency is appropriate for an individual LPN.
More at LPN Practice Decision-Making Tool.
Practice Policies outlines the expectations and conditions for a nurse to be considered eligible for entry into the profession, for registration, and to legally practice nursing in Alberta.
- Practice Policy: Temporary Registration (posted March 2019)
- Practice Policy: Specialized Practice Areas (posted December 2018)
- Practice Policy: Authorized Restricted Activities for Licensed Practical Nurses (posted December 2018)
- Practice Policy: Documentation (posted April 2018)
- Practice Policy: Registration Requirements: Actively Engaged (posted April 2018)
- Practice Policy: Professional Responsibility and Accountability (posted February 2018)
- Practice Policy: Expectations and Obligations During Emergencies (posted October 2017)
- Practice Policy: Personal Declaration for Registration Requirements
- Registration Policy: Practice Hours (posted September 2018)
Interpretive Documents promote clarity and understanding of legislation, regulation by-laws, and legalities that govern nursing.
- Interpretive Document: Privacy Legislation in Alberta (posted January 2019)
- Interpretive Document: Duty to Report (posted January 2019)
- Interpretive Document: Incapacity Under the HPA (posted April 2018)
- Interpretive Document: LPN Role in Bringing a Personal Directive into Effect (posted May 2017)
- Medical Assistance in Dying (MAID) Guidelines for Nurses in Alberta (posted March 2017)
These Practice Statement are currently under review. Most have been replaced by other document types. See especially ‘Practice Policies’ (above), and ‘Practice Guidelines’ (below).
Practice Guidelines are based on the best available evidence designed to assist healthcare professionals with decisions about appropriate practices for specific clinical situations.
- Practice Guideline: Professional Boundaries (posted July 2019)
- Practice Guideline: Confidentiality (posted January 2019)
- Practice Guideline: Medication Management (posted July 2018)
- Practice Guideline: Mobile Devices (posted April 2018)
- Practice Guideline: Professionalism on Social Media (posted March 2017)
- Practice Guideline: Independent Practice (posted November 2016)
- Practice Guideline: Addressing Co-Worker Abuse in the Workplace (posted November 2013)
- Practice Guideline: Preventing Nurse-To-Client Transmission Of Blood Borne Virus And Other Communicable Diseases
- Decision-Making Standards for Nurses in the Supervision of Health Care Aides (updated June 2010)
Fact Sheets inform on topics relevant to workplace issues and nursing practice.
- Fact Sheet: Immunization Regulation (posted December 2018)
- Fact Sheet: Recreational Cannabis (posted October 2018)
- Aesthetic Nursing in Alberta Frequently Asked Questions (posted September 2018)
- Fact Sheet: Bladder Scanning (posted August 2018)
- Fact Sheet: Pandemic Characteristics and Response Measures (posted October 2017)
- Fact Sheet: Naloxone and the Role of the Licensed Practical Nurse in Alberta (posted May 2017; updated February 16, 2018)
- Fact Sheet: Co-worker Abuse is a Threat to Patient Safety (posted November 2013)
- Fact Sheet: Did You Know: Abuse is a Learned Behaviour in Nursing (posted November 2013)
- Scope of Practice for LPNs in Alberta (posted July 2013)
Discussion Papers analyze an issue in nursing or healthcare with the aim to inform future directions, next steps or political action.
Position Statements highlight the regulatory organization’s interpretation, stand or view on a particular nursing or healthcare issue and guides nursing behaviour.
- Joint Statement on Family Violence
- LPN Role in Triage: Specific Settings (Approved by Council – December 11, 2009. Revised March 4, 2010)
White Papers explain research on a specific issue and proposes, or lays out, a plan of action.
- White Paper: Mental Injury in the Healthcare Workplace (posted November 2013)
Resources link to relevant websites and best evidence articles that strengthen nursing knowledge and evidence-informed practice.
More at Research
- Infection Prevention and Control (IPC) (Alberta Health)
- Infection Prevention and Control (IPC) Publications (Alberta Health)
- Infection Prevention and Control Best Practice Guideline for Foot Care Devices (Alberta Health Services, 2013)
- Medical Device Reprocessing – A Comprehensive Review (CSA)
- Reprocessing Foot Care Devices (Alberta Health Services, 2012)