PRACTICE AND POLICY DOCUMENTS
- Competency Profile for Licensed Practical Nurses
- Continuing Competence Program
- Entry-Level Competencies for Licensed Practical Nurses
- LPN Practice Decision-Making Tool
- Nursing Practice Self-Assessment Tool
PRACTICE & POLICY
A registrant policy is a clear and concise statement outlining requirements and expected behaviours of Licensed Practical Nurses registered with the CLPNA. A policy may address regulatory functions mentioned in the Health Professions Act or practice expectations.
- Actively Engaged Requirements for Registration and the Continuing Competence Program (2021)
- Client & Co-Worker Abuse (2020)
- Conditions on a Practice Permit at Registration or Renewal (2021)
- Declarations and Registration Requirements (2021)
- Documentation (2020)
- Expectations and Obligations During Emergencies (2020)
- Practice and Education Requirements for Restricted Activities and Advanced Practice (2020)
- Professional Responsibility and Accountability (2020)
- Provisional Registration (2020)
- Refresher Program (2021)
- Substantial Equivalence (2020)
CLPNA’s Operations Policies
An operations policy is a clear and concise statement outlining requirements and expected behaviours of the CLPNA’s staff, committee members, or external stakeholders.
An Interpretive Document provides an explanation of legislation that affects practical nursing and how to practice in compliance with the law. These explanatory documents are meant to clarify an LPN’s understanding of obligations and issues arising from various pieces of legislation.
- Duty to Report (2020)
- Fitness to Practice and HPA Definition of “Incapacitated” (2021)
- Immunization Regulation Duties (2020)
- LPN Role in Bringing a Personal Directive into Effect (2020)
- Privacy Legislation in Alberta (2020)
A Practice Guideline is an evidence-informed document designed to assist membership with making decisions about appropriate practice. These documents support professional judgement and permit flexibility in practice.
- Addressing Co-Worker Abuse in the Workplace (2020)
- Confidentiality (2021)
- Cultural Competence and Inclusive Practice (2019)
- Evidence-Informed Practice (2020)
- Infection Prevention and Control (2020)
- Medication Management (2021)
- Professional Boundaries (2019)
- Self-Employed Practice (2020)
- Virtual Healthcare (2021)
An Info Sheet informs membership on relevant nursing topics or the CLPNA’s processes.
- Canadian Practical Nursing Registration Examination (CPNRE) Attempts
- Common Questions: LPN Practice during COVID-19
- Naloxone and the Role of the Licensed Practical Nurse in Alberta (2021)
- Non-Medical Cannabis (2020)
- Pandemic Characteristics and Response Measures (2020)
- Understanding the Difference: Regulator, Association and Union (2021)
These documents were developed collaboratively by the College of Licensed Practical Nurses of Alberta (CLPNA), the College
of Registered Psychiatric Nurses of Alberta (CRPNA), and the College of Registered Nurses of Alberta (CRNA).
- Aesthetic Nursing in Alberta Frequently Asked Questions (2020)
- Collaborative Practice in Nursing (2019)
- Social Media and e-Professionalism Guideline for Nurses (2021)
Resources link to content that strengthens nursing knowledge and evidence-informed practice.
- Institute for Safe Medication Practices
- Infection Prevention and Control (IPC) (Alberta Health)