The Council of the College of Licensed Practical Nurses of Alberta recently approved updated criteria for the Registrar to use in assessing whether applicants have been actively engaged in practical nursing. The updated Practice Policy: Registration Requirements: Actively Engaged is meant to help applicants understand the approved criteria and whether this criteria applies to them. NOTE: This policy does not apply to current CLPNA members.
Requirements arise from Regulation
The role of the College of Licensed Practical Nurses of Alberta is to ensure that the public receives safe, competent and ethical care from licensed practical nurses. In order to register as a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) in Alberta, applicants have to meet registration requirements outlined in the Licensed Practical Nurses Profession Regulation (LPN Regulation). The LPN Regulation sets out requirements for applicants to have recent nursing knowledge and/or practice experience. Being actively engaged in the practice of practical nursing in accordance with criteria approved by the Council is one way an applicant can meet this requirement. Below are some key features of the policy.
The ‘Actively Engaged’ policy applies to applicants in certain categories:
- the assessment of applicants previously registered with the CLPNA whose permit has lapsed or expired;
- as criteria in assessing the substantial equivalence of an internationally educated nurse (IEN); and
- as criteria in assessing the substantial equivalence of an applicant who is educated as a nurse in Canada but does not hold current registration as a practical nurse in another recognized Canadian jurisdiction.
The Council approved the following criteria:
- (the applicant has) provided one or more of the nursing services as described under Schedule 10 s. 3 of the HPA in accordance with their competence to non-family members; and
- (the applicant has) provided nursing services for a minimum of 1000 practice hours in the last 4 years, whether paid or voluntary.
NOTE: The 4 year term is calculated from the date the completed application is received by the Registrar.