Bill 30: Increasing public representation on CLPNA’s Council, committees

(UPDATED JULY 31, 2020 – The bill passed into law on July 29, 2020.)

On July 6, 2020, the Government of Alberta announced upcoming changes to the Health Professions Act through the Bill 30 Health Statutes Amendment Act. Bill 30 requires all health professional regulatory colleges in Alberta to increase public member representation on their councils, hearing tribunals and complaint review committees from the current 25 percent to 50 percent of the total members. It’s anticipated that this Bill will be passed into law by month’s end.

(Updated July 31, 2020) The Bill passed into law on July 29, 2020. It will take effect on April 1, 2021.

The impact on Council and committee composition at the College of Licensed Practical Nurses of Alberta (CLPNA) is currently being reviewed and plans are being developed. Therefore, the Council has suspended the Council elections originally scheduled for August while they determine next steps.

Currently, a minimum of 25 percent of the CLPNA’s Council members are required to be government-appointed public members, while the remaining 75 percent are Licensed Practical Nurses. The present structure is three public members, seven LPNs, and an LPN president. The new composition will result in an equal number of public members and LPNs. All Council members are obligated to uphold the CLPNA’s mandate to regulate and lead the LPN profession in a manner that protects and serves the public through excellence in practical nursing.

RELATED – About CLPNA’s Council

RELATED – About CLPNA’s Committees

For more info, contact the CLPNA at ASK CLPNA, info@clpna.com, 780-484-8886 or 1-800-661-5877 (toll-free in Alberta).