Licensed in Another Province: Applying for Registration
IMPORTANT: To work or accept employment in Alberta, Licensed Practical Nurses must have registration and a valid Practice Permit from the College of Licensed Practical Nurses of Alberta (CLPNA), as per the Health Professions Act (HPA) of Alberta.
This page is for Licensed Practical Nurses (or Registered Practical Nurses from Ontario) currently or previously registered in another Canadian province/jurisdiction to become registered as a Licensed Practical Nurse in Alberta, Canada.
OUT OF PROVINCE SELF-ASSESSMENT TOOL
To apply for registration as an LPN in Alberta, use the Out of Province Self-Assessment Tool to determine if you are likely to meet CLPNA’s registration requirements and are eligible to apply.
ELIGIBLE APPLICANTS WILL RECEIVE A REGISTRATION APPLICATION after completing the Out of Province Self-Assessment Tool.
Eligible applicants must:
- Have previously or currently been registered as an LPN in Canada.
- Have nursing practice hours in the past four (4) years OR have graduated from a nursing education program in the past four (4) years. (In order for worked hours to qualify as nursing practice hours, you must have been registered, hired, and paid as a nurse. Practice hours do not include sick time, vacation or volunteering.)
If you do not meet the above criteria, see below for other registration options:
- I am a New Graduate of an Practical Nurse program in Alberta
- I was Previously Registered/Licensed as a LPN in Alberta
- I am an Internationally Educated Nurse (a nurse educated outside Canada and is/was not registered/licensed in Canada)
For further information, contact the Out of Province Department at email@example.com or 780-484-8886.