Licensed in Another Province: Applying for Registration
This page is for Licensed Practical Nurses (or Registered Practical Nurses from Ontario) currently or previously registered in another Canadian province/jurisdiction that wish to become registered as a Licensed Practical Nurse in Alberta and who have not been previously registered with the CLPNA.
Applicants who graduated from a Canadian Practical Nursing Program outside of Alberta may apply for Provisional Registration as an Out of Province New Grad if they:
- have not successfully completed a registration exam, and
- are not registered in another Canadian Jurisdiction
APPLYING FOR REGISTRATION AS AN OUT OF PROVINCE APPLICANT
IMPORTANT: The title of Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) is restricted and cannot be used by an individual in Alberta unless authorized by the College of Licensed Practical Nurses of Alberta (CLPNA). You must be registered with the CLPNA if you will be doing any of the following:
- Apply nursing knowledge, skills, and judgment to assess patient’s needs
- Provide nursing care for patients and families
- Teach, manage and conduct research in the science, techniques and practice of nursing
- Provide restricted activities authorized by the regulation
Registration Requirements & Process
The CLPNA is committed to having transparent, objective, impartial, and procedurally fair registration practices.
The Declarations & Registration Requirements Policy outlines the declarations and registration requirements for all registration categories. Applicants must ensure that they fulfill all necessary requirements in their application, including successful completion of the Jurisprudence Exam.
DOWNLOAD Policy: Declarations and Registration Requirements
HOW TO APPLY
- From our website: https://www.clpna.com/
- Click on the myCLPNA button and sign up with your email address. You will receive an email with a link asking you to complete your registration.
- Once logged in, on the Dashboard select “Apply” under Active to begin the Out of Province Application.
- Complete the application either in one sitting or save the form for later with the button at the bottom.
- Once the application is complete , you will be able to submit your application and pay the application fee.
- After the application has been submitted and the application fee paid, the CLPNA will review your application and contact you within five (5) business days regarding any outstanding requirements or next steps.
- Additionally, you are required to submit a Criminal Record Check through myBackCheck. Click the button below to proceed:
Please note: You may be required to submit evidence of English language proficiency.
The Verification of Registration form is required to be completed if you are/or have been registered in another jurisdiction:
The following forms are required to be completed if you graduated prior to 2009:
Verification of Nursing Education
OTHER REGISTRATION OPTIONS
If you are not registered in another province, the Out of Province Application may not be the best route for application, here are some other registration options:
- I am a New Graduate of an Practical Nurse program in Alberta
- I was Previously Registered/Licensed as a LPN in Alberta
- I am an Internationally Educated Nurse (a nurse educated outside Canada and is/was not registered/licensed in Canada)
- I am licensed in another province and would like to practice in Alberta for less than three months
RELATED – Fee Schedule
For more information, please contact:
Email the CLPNA’s Registration Department
Ask CLPNA or call 1-800-661-5877 (toll-free in Alberta), or 780-484-8886.
CLPNA’S REGISTRATION SERVICE STANDARDS
This policy outlines registration service standards at the CLPNA. Applicants and registrants can expect these standards when interacting with the Registration Team at the CLPNA.
Registration Service Standards
Updated June 24, 2022